NAS Jacksonville, located in Jacksonville, Florida, is only 4 miles away from the main business district of Jacksonville. It’s one of the 2 stations in Duval County, and one of the main sources for work in the area. Naval Air Station Jacksonville is commanded by Captain John C. Scorby, and hosts a number of Navy ships, as well as many active duty members.
Originally built October 15, 1940, NAS Jacksonville has served as a large Navy base since its creation. Before it was formed, the area it is located in was known as Camp Joseph E. Johnston, which was commissioned on October 15, 1917. This camp was used heavily during World War 1, and was owned by the US Army, until 1928 when it was taken over by the US Coast Guard, and renamed Camp J. Clifford R. Foster.
By the mid-1950’s, NAS Jacksonville was causing a huge economic impact in the area surrounding it. Employing more than 11,000 military and 5,000 civilians, NAS Jacksonville has a payroll of over $35 million – and that was back in the ‘50’s! Currently, NAS Jacksonville has 23,000 civilian and active duty members, and continues to support the people of Jacksonville, Florida.