The Gulfport Naval Construction Battalion Center is a support base for several units of the Naval Construction Force. It plays home to Navy Mobile Construction units 1, 7, 74, 133, and the 20th Naval Construction Regiment. The base stores most of the Navy’s construction equipment, and it’s main purpose is to provide services and a base for all the Navy’s construction crews. It’s also ready to mobilize its forces at almost any time, to counter emergencies.
Gulfport Naval Construction Battalion Center was originated on June 2, 1942. It’s located in Gulfport, Mississippi. It started as a place for Navy “Seabees” (which were simply helpful civilians at this point) to help the war effort by building military installations and equipment. The base was used heavily during World War 2, primarily as a training ground and construction center. The training center was eventually decommissioned, and was replaced by a large Navy storehouse, which was used to store tons of military and Navy equipment. It’s still used today as a storehouse, as well as a command center for military construction projects.