Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, which is commonly called Truax Field, is located about 6 miles from the central point of Corpus Christi, Texas. The base is currently commanded by Captain Randolph F. Pierson, and is used primarily as a training station for navy pilots. Due to the complexity of today’s navy aircrafts, the training program at NAS Corpus Christi has been extended to 18 months. There are approximately 400 new recruits who join the training program at Corpus Christi each year.
Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, commonly abbreviated NAS JRB Fort Worth, is located 6 miles from the central district of Fort Worth, Texas. The airfield also spans the towns of Westworth Village and White Settlement. There are several operations headquartered at NAS JRB Fort Worth, including aviation squadrons, Seabees and intelligence commands.
The base was built in 1932, and was designated as Tarrant Field Airdrome in 1941. The base was later renamed as Fort Worth Army Air Field on the 2nd of January, 1942. In late 1993, as a result of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission’s decision, personnel and operations from Naval Air Station Dallas were relocated to the air field, which was then renamed NAS Fort Worth JRB.
Naval Air Station Kingsville, located 3 miles east of Kingsville, Texas, is commanded by Captain Phillip J. Waddingham. NAS Kingsville primarily operations smaller-engine aircrafts, and flies primarily over land. They are not as well-equipped for over-water flights as larger bases such as NAS Corpus Christi, but they are great at what they do. NAS Kingsville is also famous for the Wings Over South Texas Air Show, which is held annually.
The base was built on July 4, 1942, and has been in use ever since. Today, NAS Kingsville is used primarily to train navy aviators. In fact, the base is one of the Navy’s premier training facilities for jet aviation. NAS Kingsville trains student Naval Aviators from the US Navy and US Marine Corps. The NAS is home to Training Air Wing TWO, as well as many tenant commands.
Naval Station Ingleside is located in Ingleside, Texas. It is directly on the northern shore of the Corpus Christi Bay, and is only 12 miles east of the central district of Corpus Christi, Texas. Naval Station Ingleside is part of the Naval Region South, along with its 2 fellow southern bases. The base was commanded in its later years by Captain Leland “BT” D. Taylor.
You might also like: Police Academies in Texas.