Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base Fort Worth, commonly abbreviated NAS JRB Fort Worth, is located 6 miles from the central district of Fort Worth, Texas. The airfield also spans the towns of Westworth Village and White Settlement. There are several operations headquartered at NAS JRB Fort Worth, including aviation squadrons, Seabees and intelligence commands.
The base was built in 1932, and was designated as Tarrant Field Airdrome in 1941. The base was later renamed as Fort Worth Army Air Field on the 2nd of January, 1942. In late 1993, as a result of the Base Realignment and Closure Commission’s decision, personnel and operations from Naval Air Station Dallas were relocated to the air field, which was then renamed NAS Fort Worth JRB.
Today, the station plays a vital role in both defense and offense. It trains and equips crews from the Navy and allied forces, and helps air crews and aviation ground support personnel. The base is still in use today, and is commanded by Captain T.D. Smyers, a distinguished commander.